BY DEAN HOCKNEY
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – One year ago, the Kokomo Post 6 baseball team returned to the Indiana American Legion State Finals for the first time since 2001 – ending a 13-year absence from the state scene. This year, Kokomo showed it once again was a state power after winning its second consecutive regional to advance to the state finals in back-to-back years for the first time since 1978-1979. Unfortunately, one year after ending its season as state runners-up, the Sixers fell in the quarterfinals to end its season fifth in the state.
But when Kokomo Post 6 looks back at its run in the state finals, one inning will stand out – a disastrous eighth inning in its opening game. Leading 5-2, Kokomo looked to be on cruise control to round two of the winner’s bracket when Floyd’s Knob Post 42 erupted for three long home runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to snatch the lead away from the Sixers. While Kokomo did tie the game in the top of the ninth to send the contest into extra innings, the damage may have been done to the Sixers confidence.
Kokomo would eventually lose the opening game 7-6 in 12 innings, and after downing Plymouth Post 27 in an easy 12-1 contest, they dropped out of the tournament with an 8-5 loss in an elimination game to host Terre Haute Post 346 the following day.
After a 25-10 campaign this year, the Sixers end a two-year state finals run with an overall record of 54-17 and a pair of regional titles. And while a fourth state title alluded the Sixers, the program appears to be headed in the right direction under manager Don Andrews.
AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL
INDIANA SENIOR STATE TOURNAMENT
At Terre Haute North High School
Participating teams (records entering finals)
Floyd’s Knob Post #42 (17-6)
Kokomo Post #6 (24-8)
Muncie Post #19 (unknown)
Newburgh Post #44 (26-7)
Plymouth Post #27 (18-14)
Rockport Post #254 (15-1)
Rockville Post #48 (6-8)
Terre Haute Post #346 (28-6)
Friday, July 24 (opening round)
1. Rockport (7) def. Plymouth (3) 15 inn.
2. Newburgh (12) def. Muncie (2) 8 inn.
3. Floyd’s Knob (7) def. KOKOMO (6) 12 inn.
4. Terre Haute (11) def. Rockville (1)
Saturday, July 25
5. KOKOMO (12) def. Plymouth (1) – elimination
6. Muncie (17) def. Rockville (5) – elimination
7. Rockport (12) def. Floyd’s Knob (7)
8. Newburgh def. Terre Haute (score unavailable)
Sunday, July 26
9. Floyd’s Knob (6) def. Muncie (2) – elimination
10. Terre Haute (8) def. KOKOMO (5) – elimination
11. Rockport (14) def. Newburgh (5)
Monday, July 27 (semifinals)
12. Floyd’s Knob (3) def. Newburgh (2) -elimination
13. Rockport (7) def. Terre Haute (6) – elimination
Tuesday, July 28 (championship game)
14. Rockport (13) def. Floyd’s Knob (12)
Rockport Post 254 (20-1) wins Indiana American Legion Baseball state championship for eighth time.