UPDATED WITH STATE FINALS PAIRINGS
BY DEAN HOCKNEY
LAFAYETTE, Ind. – While the rain largely missed Kokomo over the weekend, it swamped Tippecanoe County and the American Legion baseball regional at Loeb Field in Lafayette. But after several delays, the “Super Sixers” of Kokomo Post 6 did something the program hasn’t accomplished since 1978-1979 – win back-to-back regional titles. Post 6 downed Crawfordsville Post 72 in a nail-biting 11-8 thriller Monday night for its 14th overall regional crown.
Colby Malson pitched a solid championship game, holding Crawfordsville hitless through five innings to earn the victory.
Isaac Turner – a hero a year ago at the state finals in Plymouth – had a phenomenal regional tourney. In the title game, he got the Sixers rolling early with a first inning double to score two runs. In the third inning, he reached on an error and scored after stealing second. Turner then had an RBI single in the fourth inning to score S.A. Dunn, an RBI double to score Dunn in the sixth and a 3-run double in the seventh. He finished the championship game 4 for 5 with three doubles and seven RBIs!
For the regional, Turner was as hot as any American Legion player in the United States: he finished 10 for 14 with five doubles and 11 RBIs. Not a bad four-game series for the Anderson University sophomore.
The Sixers head to Terre Haute North High School for a first-round contest on Friday at approximately 4:30 p.m. The state finals schedule was not finalized at press time, but the Sports Journal
will post it online when it becomes available. Kokomo is the defending state runners-up and are looking for the programs fourth state championship (1972, 1976, 1982).
AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL
INDIANA SENIOR STATE TOURNAMENT
At Terre Haute North High School
Floyd’s Knob Post #42 (17-6)
Kokomo Post #6 (24-8)
Muncie Post #19 (unknown)
Newburgh Post #44 (26-7)
Plymouth Post #27 (18-14)
Rockport Post #254 (15-1)
Rockville Post #48 (6-8)
Terre Haute Post #346 (28-6)
Friday, July 24 (opening round)
1. Rockport (7) def. Plymouth (3) 15 inn.
2. Newburgh (12) def. Muncie (2) 8 inn.
3. Floyd’s Knob (7) def. KOKOMO (6) 12 inn.
4. Terre Haute (11) def. Rockville (1)
Saturday, July 25
5. KOKOMO (12) def. Plymouth (1) – elimination
6. Muncie (17) def. Rockville (5) – elimination
7. Rockport (12) def. Floyd’s Knob (7)
8. Newburgh def. Terre Haute (score unavailable)
Sunday, July 26
9. Floyd’s Knob (6) def. Muncie (2) – elimination
10. Terre Haute (8) def. KOKOMO (5) – elimination
11. Rockport (14) def. Newburgh (5)
Monday, July 27 (Semifinals)
12. Floyd’s Knob (3) def. Newburgh (2) -elimination
13. Rockport (7) def. Terre Haute (6) – elimination
Tuesday, July 28 (championship game)
14. 1:00 p.m. – Floyd’s Knob (must win twice) vs Rockport
15. 7:00 p.m. – If necessary game
NOTE: Legion rules allow for movement of teams starting with Day 4 games, so brackets may not play exactly as stated.